Sunday, February 10, 2008

Iron Chef Challenge: Legumes

Yes, the Iron Chef cooking challenge is still on...I have just been lazy/busy these last couple of weeks so I haven't had time to try any new recipes. But, I vowed to get back in the game with this weeks secret ingredient: legumes. Since I could use any kind of legume (bean) I wanted to, it took me a while to decide on which recipe I wanted to try. Finally, I found this yummy recipe:

Black Bean & Rice Tostada


1 cup instant white rice, uncooked
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained
1 package Taco Seasoning
corn tortillas
toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa
(**I added cooked ground beef to appease my husband's need for meat!)



PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Spray both sides of Tortillas with cooking spray; place in single layer on baking sheet. Bake 10 min. or until crisp and lightly browned.
MEANWHILE, cook rice in large saucepan as directed on package. Add beans, corn and Seasoning Mix (and ground beef if you want it!); mix well. Cook 5 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
TOP tortillas with rice mixture and any toppings you choose!



TJ and I loved this recipe. This recipe makes a lot so we have a ton of leftovers...which will taste so delicious in burritos, soft tacos, or even more tostadas! As you can tell from the picture, my taste tester TJ really loved it (and he also needs a haircut!). Try my recipe and see if you love it as much as we did!

2 comments:

cindy said...

yes he soes need a haircut...he looks kinda like a monk

Calli Potter said...

There, I posted my recipe.. and by your tally.. it looks like I'm ahead!