Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother’s Day

Once a year, we spend a day reflecting on Mothers.
I would like to honor my mother…
who loved me enough to make me a beautiful dress with puffy sleeves and fluff my bangs as high as they could possibly go.

flashback8

That’s true love, my friends.
But seriously, despite the dated look of those dresses, imagine the time and talent behind each of those.
My mom has sewn a lot of dresses for us over the years, from church dresses to prom dresses to bridesmaid dresses.
That’s a lot of time and a lot of love.

flashback7

And despite the fact that my bangs are sky-high,
and Jessica is rocking a mullet,
my mom took the time to do our hair.
She cut and she permed…
and eventually she started to color and highlight.
Did you know I once got in a fight defending my hair?
True story.
Boy: “Your hair is pretty…”
Me: “Thanks, my mom did it!”
Boy: “Ha, pretty ugly!”
So I kicked him.
No one mocks my mom’s hair-doing-skills and gets away with it!

DSCN0640

Now that I’m a mom, I watch my son each day and hope that I’m raising him right.
Am I teaching him the right things?
Am I setting a good example?
Am I taking the time to laugh and play with him?
My mom set an amazing example for me.
She showed me how important the little acts of love are and how love can be shown in our every day actions.
A 15-month old can sometimes be a challenge, as we try to set boundaries and teach manners.
But I remember my mother’s example and I try  to teach, and sometimes discipline, with love.

“All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.”-Abe Lincoln

No comments: